Recruitment specialists in editorial and
content creation – digital and print
Honest, knowledgeable and friendly recruitment
to grow your career or your business
Recruitment specialists in editorial and
content creation – digital and print
Honest, knowledgeable and friendly recruitment
to grow your career or your business
Penny Lawson founded Folio in 2005 after 13 years in publishing. In her previous career she worked as a chief sub and deputy editor on some of the UK’s best-known consumer and client magazines, so she knows the industry first-hand.
She has matched hundreds of candidates to exciting opportunities, whether that be within digital, social, content marketing, consumer, b2b, communications or PR. The fact that many of these candidates are now clients is testament to Folio’s success.
Folio prides itself on its honest, friendly approach and the business is built on integrity and reliability. Excellent recruitment isn’t about plugging gaps – it’s sharing the dream, giving intelligent advice and supporting you throughout the journey.
Folio specialises in jobs in content creation. From editorial assistant to editorial director, or social media exec to senior strategist, we can help find the right role for you.
The form below gives you the chance to let us know your ideal job and salary expectations. We review every application and you will always hear back. If we think we can help, we’d like to meet to talk in more detail about your career moves and aspirations.
We get to know the people we work with – and that is what makes Folio special.
“Penny is the friendliest face in recruitment, adding a personal touch that goes beyond the day-to-day normality of sharing CVs and portfolios, and chasing up work opportunities. She’s also efficient, with a great memory and network of contacts, placing people in the right roles for freelance and putting them forward for full-time vacancies. Penny maintains close communication when something’s come up, so you aren’t left wondering whatever happened to that mooted possibility (which some recruiters seem to do all too often!). It’s a pleasure to be on Penny’s books.” Stuart, Copywriter
“The difference between Penny and other recruiters is that she genuinely cares about you as an individual. Right from the outset, Penny took the time to get to know me and my likes and dislikes, and within weeks had placed me with a host of long-standing clients. Her connections are second to none, but it is her caring and personable approach that sets her apart from all other recruiters I’ve worked with. I’ve had nothing but a positive experience and can thoroughly recommend Folio!” Matt, Editor
“Penny really listened to what I wanted and only matched me with the roles and companies that would suit me best. Throughout I felt incredibly supported, at ease about big career decisions and altogether more confident about my future. Within two weeks I was offered the job I was looking for. I can’t thank Penny enough for all her help!” Emily, Content Exec
“I approached Penny after six months of searching for employment with no success. Her experience, expertise and guidance were exactly what I needed and she restored confidence in my abilities. She helped me refocus on what it was that I wanted to achieve. Within days, Penny had secured an interview for me and it was only a matter of weeks before I was offered a full-time position. Thanks to her, I am now in a job that I absolutely love.” Justine, Sub-editor
Deciding whether to go freelance can be very daunting – sole trader versus limited company, what expenses are tax deductible, should you be VAT registered, etc. And when you are successfully working freelance, the chances are you’ll need advice from time to time.
These practical guides offer help on how to set up, expenses, personal indemnity insurance, self-assessment and a host of other important issues.
Folio is a niche, specialist agency focussing on content creation. We work with content marketing agencies, ad agencies, global news publishers, consumer brands, PR agencies, social and video specialists, independent publishers and any business in need of engaging content.
Penny spent 13 years in publishing, so genuinely gets what you need. She loves combining the worlds of publishing and recruitment and has one simple aim – to truly match the needs of both clients and candidates.
Most of our clients come to us by referral (thank you) and they keep coming back. We interview all candidates and set tests, when relevant, to assess writing, editing, subbing, SEO, social, digital and IT skills. We only put forward people we believe are a strong fit and we will never clog your inbox with CVs.
“Folio’s editorial expertise and professionalism have been invaluable. Other recruitment agencies left us disappointed with their level of service, but Folio understood our needs completely and helped us find the right people for numerous roles, both temporary and permanent.” Barry, Director
“Penny hunts down the candidates other agencies don’t and doesn’t just rely on incoming CVs. She has placed several outstanding candidates with me over the years, both permanent, fixed contract and freelance, a number of which are still in place after many years.” Chris, Editor
“Folio has been an invaluable help to me, providing excellent, technically skilled, friendly and reliable sub-editors who meet the exact requirements of our demanding production desk. Folio provides such subs promptly and often at very short notice (due to the unforeseeable events of a busy publishing outfit), significantly easing the pressure at the most challenging times.” Stuart, Production Editor
“Penny delivers. She has never wasted my time by putting people forward who are not suitable. Everyone she sends my way has been more than capable of doing the job at hand. On the whole, freelancers I get through Penny come back to work with us job after job as her standard is incredibly high.” Zoe, Head of Content
Are you a newshound, desperate to break big stories on an industry-leading weekly business title? Are you an expert networker with a track record of using your contacts book to deliver exclusive news and features that generate industry debate?
As a reporter for this weekly b2b retail title, you will be the first to report on new deals, concepts and trends, keeping readers up-to-date.
The role is varied and you will be responsible for your own news page each week, while also pitching for the top spots on the breaking news pages. You will also produce data analysis, product features and business profiles, supported by daily digital content.
A well-established content marketing agency in London is looking for an Editor with a B2B background to manage the digital and print output for one of its clients in the finance sector.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Researching, writing and editing content
Attending meetings with the client
Sub-editing, fact checking and proofreading
The ideal candidate will be hardworking, organised, deadline-driven and a stickler for detail with strong feature-writing, news-writing, proofing and sub-editing skills. He/she will have at least four years’ experience on a respected publication or website and a background in business journalism.
Working on a B2B magazine and associated web content. Details to follow shortly.
Our client is a leading B2B publishing company, specialising in retail.
They are looking for a talented features writer to work across one of their award winning weekly publications (print and digital).
The key responsibilities of this role are:
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced editor to work for a fully integrated global content agency, based in London.
Creativity and people are at the heart of this organization from the newest recruit up to the management team. Our client is seeking an experienced editor with a shared passion for culture.
You will be working across a wide range of clients range from the youth culture to finance brands and everything in-between. The Head of Editorial and Publishing will lead the team that is responsible for editorial, publishing and planning brand campaigns. The Publishing and Editorial team sit firmly between planning and creative team.
You will know what makes good creative but also have a strong understanding of data and insights and know how to apply this to creative strategy.
Here in our small sunny offices in Parsons Green SW6 we are looking to take on a social media and admin exec to work at Folio Recruitment. This is a part-time role (20 hours per week) on a 3 – 6 month contract.
Main responsibilities include:
Our client is looking for a sub editor with a minimum of two years’ experience, ideally in a b2b publishing environment (print and digital). You would be working in a team of subs across the entire output of this respected agency.
• laying out pages to template, using InDesign and Photoshop
• copy editing, fact-checking
• writing heads and sells for magazine and digital versions
Skills + requirements:
• meticulous sub-editing skills with solid experience in a deadline-driven environment
• ability to follow style guides and update them when necessary
• creativity – writing heads and sells
• ability to be pro-active, multi-task and to manage own workload
• excellent communication skills a must
• proficient working in InDesign and Photoshop
• experience of working in a CMS desirable
Our client, a leading B2B content marketing agency, are looking for a skilled editor to work across a number of their accounts. Specialising in online and offline creation, you will be liaising directly with clients, proactively identifying content opportunities and producing high quality content. You will be instrumental in increasing clients’ brand awareness and sales through content.
• Researching, interviewing, writing, sub-editing, proofing and publishing regular client content – including short-form and long-form blogs, case studies, infographics, newsletters and video scripts
• Working with the creative teams to manage online and print design
• Contribute to optimising client content for SEO by conducting keyword research, uploading articles to the website and creating copy for social media posts.
• Liaising with key client contacts, colleagues and freelancers to deliver well-crafted content that is on time, to budget and to required quality standards
• Co-ordinating and contributing to editorial brainstorming and forward planning with clients
• At least three years in a similar editing role
• Degree-qualified with proven B2B experience writing for online (using SEO) and print. Video editing experience a plus
• Experience using publishing software (InDesign, Photoshop) and CMS systems
• Excellent writing and editing skills, and attention to detail
• Strong relationship management skills, with the ability to balance negotiation, compromise and persuade
• Interest and experience in writing about
Fantastic opportunity for a B2B writer or editor with experience of the travel industry to join a thriving multi-channel agency. Must have knowledge of travel tech, distribution, business/corporate travel, etc.
You will be helping develop great content and campaigns for brands across the travel industry including media, tour operators, suppliers, OTAs and tech providers.
Must have a solid understanding of the travel sector and a wide range of media and industry contacts. The successful candidate will have experience of writing about the technical and business end of the travel industry, including distribution, ecommerce, corporate travel, tech and data. You will be comfortable working in a range of formats, from planning and writing e-books to outlining infographics in collaboration with designers.
About the Role:
• Managing relationships with b2b clients
• Working with insights team to devise strategies and plan content calendars
• Where appropriate, working with business development to create proposals and deliver pitches
• Writing and sometimes commissioning a range of written and multimedia content
• At times, writing and speaking about the industry (and/or about content) for the organisation’s own channels
• Attending relevant industry events (e.g. WTM, Phocuswright, Travel Massive)
• Acting as internal champion for travel industry knowledge – staying on top of current developments and communicating them to rest of team as appropriate
• 3-5 years experience in writing and editing roles (journalism, copywriting)
• Portfolio of written work that is relevant to the roe
• Strong organisational and communication skills
• Excellent understanding of the travel industry
• Networking skills and extensive list of travel industry contacts
• Experience of interviewing senior contacts about complex issue and ideas
• Experience of working with data and statistics
• Journalism qualification
Meticulous sub-editor needed, with a minimum of two years experience across print or digital, to work for a well respected publishing agency. Potential part-time (4 days a week)
B2B and lifestyle
Full details on application
Fantastic opportunity for an experienced Sub-Editor, to work at a thriving integrated digital agency, working across retail brands.
As Sub-Editor, you’ll be a key part of the editorial team, working closely with the Editorial Director and Creative Copywriter to ensure content is delivered to the highest possible standard. Working on some of the world’s most prestigious brands, you will act as the guardian of all editorial content, ensuring tones of voice are adhered to and that content is delivered to deadline and to the highest possible standard.
Your responsibilities will include rewriting copy, fact-checking and subbing, always keeping in mind the brand’s strategy, goal and messaging. Aside from sub-editing, you will also support with copy-writing when required.
Excellent sub-editing experience: an editor with at least three years’ experience in a similar role (preferably journalism, but marketing considered), you will care passionately about consistency and understand the importance of tone of voice.
Strong writing skills: ability to write to a wide range of audiences, including attention-grabbing headlines, punchy social copy and longer editorial pieces.
Culturally curious: passionate about looking outside the creative industry, you will draw inspiration from a variety of lifestyle communities and mediums.
Working on a portfolio of business and finance publications, full details on application.
NCTJ qualification desirable, but not essential. Minimum 6 months news writing experience.
B2B and B2C content for a well known publishing house. Full details on application.
Minimum 2 years editorial experience. Writing news and features across business and lifestyle for a well respected content agency in central London.
A rare opportunity to take the editorial helm at a well-respected multi-channel agency. Our client is looking for someone passionate about digital to drive forward a major retail account on all channels, also working with the commercial team on supplier content.
The right person will be able to put together visually exciting Power Point presentations with creative propositions for both the day to day client and the many suppliers they work with. Aside from creative ideas, the candidate will bring recommendations for digital innovation to the table (including new content formats and website functionality). SEO and social skills, especially knowing what gets traction and what doesn’t in terms of content, is also key. The role requires confidence in front of clients and the ability to lead and inspire a team. Knowledge of the parenting sector is an advantage.
This exciting opportunity is at a well-known content marketing agency in London, working on a lifestyle account with a focus on health, well-being and beauty. Applicants should have a digital background and experience of working in content marketing, ideally for a retail client.
Our client (leading media within the health and safety industry) is seeking a talented individual to join as a web editor.
You will be a content professional, used to producing high quality journalism to meet deadlines and move the industry agenda forward. The role is to expand a fast-growing audience through breaking news, in-depth features and special report, firmly positioning the organisation at the heart of the industry.
Whilst there is a sales team in place, the editor will be expected to attend key client meetings and to provide strategic advice/ideas for commercial opportunities.
• Writing news and features, ensuring regular up-to-date content and resources to go in the daily newsletter.
• Managing relationships with freelancers and contributors, being the main point of contact for PRs and for features from regular authors.
• Planning and delivering live content
• Providing market intelligence and insight to contribute to the portfolio’s strategy.
• Working closely with the health and safety community to deliver educational webinars and downloads to improve professional development. Organising schedule and co-ordinating expert contributors.
• Attending and reporting from conferences, lectures and networking events in and outside London
• Helping to develop and execute webinars and live content for conferences.
• Pushing content further by measuring and optimising content effectiveness using web analytics.
• Demonstrated experience in B2B online publishing.
• Strong interviewing, editing, writing, communication, and organisational skills.
• Familiarity with web content management systems, SEO principles, and digital editing software.
• An interest in developing live content.
• An eye for developing media opportunities that have commercial value
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced editor or content strategist to work for a fully integrated thriving content agency, based in London. The successful client will have previous experience in a publisher, content strategist or editor role.
Working across a wide variety of prestigious accounts, you will be responsible for client’s editorial output. For example, generating and editing content ideas across all platforms. These include the website, social media, live events, the app and CRM amongst others. An understanding of the digital, social and cultural space is key.
Key responsibilities, skills and experience:
Do you have a passion for the written word, video and social content? We have an exciting opportunity to work for an integrated global content agency in London. You will work across a variety of accounts, creating compelling content for a wide range of clients.
You may have been a social media manager, content manager or a data analyst in a previous role.
Key responsibilities, skills and experience:
Our client, a global leader in B2B content, is looking for an experienced financial services editor who can develop content strategies and produce high-quality content for clients in the professional services, banking and investment sectors. Due to recent new business wins and client growth, they are looking to expand their team with a specialist financial services editor.
The role involves formulating content strategy, originating briefs, writing, editing and sub-editing content, as well as commissioning specialist contributors. The role will involve a significant amount of client-facing responsibilities and the ability to lead complex content workshops.
• Attend frequent client meetings to take briefs, consult on overall content strategy and suggest ideas and angles on individual pieces.
• Write, commission, edit and copy-edit short-form articles, longer features and digital publications.
• Provide editorial for the production of infographics, videos and event content.
• Confidently interview senior subject matter experts, CEOs and professional services partners.
• Challenge briefs and ensure the content produced always has the best chance of achieving the client’s objectives, by putting the audience at the heart.
• Keep abreast of financial services news as well as news relating to clients and their competitors.
• Proactively develop ideas for content and identify new opportunities for content production.
• Produce content for social media to support content distribution.
• Report into the editorial director and work closely with account directors.
• Excellent knowledge of financial services and ability to discuss subjects in some detail across insurance, investment management, banking and fintech.
• Confidence in interviewing senior figures and ability to adapt to new subject areas.
• Ability to interrogate and deliver on client briefs.
• Experience of large-scale content campaigns and understanding of audience behaviour across different media.
• Ability to multitask and adapt quickly.
• Working knowledge of social media and experience, using it to effectively promote communications.
• Understanding of challenges facing professional services and financial services companies.
We have a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic Content Editor to join a renowned food publishing business.
Our client is looking for an experienced Content Editor to join their team. Delivering ambitious, world-class editorial content on brand, on time and on budget, with a specific focus on recipe-led content – this is a fantastic opportunity to contribute to the creative output of the business.
Projects are varied and can be fast-paced, so flexibility and adaptability are key, as is the ability to work under pressure. A passion for food, an incredible eye for detail, and a positive, can-do attitude are essential. Experience working within a collaborative team environment and excellent communication skills are also required.
Please note, this is a maternity cover position to begin April/early May 2018, running to end of June 2019 (TBC).
• Delivering editorial content for new and one-off recipe-led projects, working with the Acting Head of Editorial, and internal teams, and acting as the point of editorial contact for external partners, as required
• Overseeing the Junior Content Manager in the selection of content/content packages available for commercial syndication deals and business opportunities
• Managing the creation and delivery of recipe-related content for all external partnerships, ensuring all recipe use is supportive of our objectives and consistent in style and tone
• Managing the creation and delivery of recipe-related content for all internal requirements, ensuring all recipe use is supportive of our objectives and consistent in style and tone
• In relation to the two points above, working with the food team to organise, coordinate and oversee the recipe testing process
• Representing the Editorial Content Team at all internal meetings for said partnerships, as required, keeping the Acting Head of Editorial up-to-date with all detail
• Working with the Junior Content Manager to update existing recipe and tip content to current standards, ensuring it is fit for delivery, meets the brief, and supports the wider objectives of the business
• Responsible for the ongoing project of editing and updating our back-catalogue of recipes
• Line-managing and quality controlling the Editorial Team Assistant to provide support on all of the above projects, and developing their recipe editing skills
• Education: educated to degree level or equivalent
• Experience: a proven track record working at a senior editorial level in commercial publishing, with a thorough knowledge of food publishing, both in print and digital
• Key skills and attributes: excellent copyediting, copywriting, proofreading and attention to detail, clear and effective communication, planning and project management, the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, organisational skills, adaptability and flexibility, creative idea generation, decision making, leadership, art direction, must be Mac, Google and InDesign literate
• A friendly and supportive company culture in a thriving office
• Generous salary, bonus, pension, life insurance and medical cover
• 30 days holiday, plus half a day for Christmas shopping, and summer hours (4pm finish every Friday in July and August)
• Fabulous food perks, including discounts at restaurants, free breakfast at the office, foodie forums and cooking classes.
• Social events, discounted gym membership, plus massage and nail appointments on site
We have a great position at a B2B publishing company, which produces market-leading magazines and events, in the retail and foodservice industry. Having recently launched a digital offering, this is an exciting time to join the organisation, and you can be part of its early success.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly organised online or print sub-editor, who is looking for a new challenge. The successful candidate will have a great eye for copy, management skills and a real desire to create interesting ways to deliver information to readers.
About the Role:
Your role is to assist the production / design team to deliver accurate, informative and visually exciting content to a growing audience across the independent retail channel. You will manage two sub editors and ensure all content accurately reflects the audience and strategy.
• to sub-edit and check copy for accuracy, style and grammar, ensuring that content adheres to style guides
• to manage the work flow through your team and ensure deadlines are hit
• to cut and rewrite copy where necessary, proof read pages and input corrections
• prioritise key tasks and hit deadlines
• to help grow the reach of the online content, maximising SEO
• to repurpose content for different streams to maximise the effect of messages
• to layout pages in InDesign and use the content management system to update online offerings
• to structure 121’s and quarterly reviews with your team and guide them with their targets
• to create development plans and push your team towards achievement of business goals
• to suggest improvements to processes and implement efficient methods of working
• experience using InDesign, Photoshop, Microsoft Office
• experience in using a content management system
• experience in providing timely and accurate content
• excellent time management skills
• organised, with a great eye for detail
• ability to interact at various organisational levels
• a good eye for photography and an understanding of how images support news and features
Do you have great journalistic instincts and experience of leading a team of writers? Our client, provides leadership and management support to a huge member base of school leaders. They are looking to appoint an interim commissioning editor to lead a small team of writers. You will be creating high-impact content for its member base.
You will work as part of a talented, agile team of writers and education experts to supply a regular stream of high-value content to the organisation’s range of products, providing practical articles, professional development resources and content marketing.
You will be responsible for overseeing a content roadmap that anticipates the needs of senior school leaders across more than 10,000 schools. Day-to-day you will lead efforts to understand the needs of the audience; commission content from both within the team, and across a network of experts; and you will top-edit and sign-off all written work, to ensure that it provides practical value to members.
This position is a full-time 6 months fixed-term contract (maternity cover).
Do you have experience of creating and editing engaging and practical adult-training courses?
Our client, provides leadership and management support to a huge member base of school leaders. They are looking to appoint an Interim Content Manager to repurpose their professional development courses for teachers on its new training platform. The training platform is a service that provides school leaders with everything they need to deliver training for teachers, leaders and support staff
You will work as a part of a talented and agile team of writers and content producers and liaise closely with the product manager and marketing team. You will be responsible for delivering a content road map for the new training platform, that focuses on editing and streamlining professional development resources to ensure they offer practical value to participants. Day-to-day, you will work independently to deliver edited courses at pace and will work with product manager to seek early feedback on these courses from its members.