Recruitment specialists in editorial and
content creation – digital and print
Honest, knowledgeable and friendly recruitment
to grow your career or your business
Recruitment specialists in editorial and
content creation – digital and print
Honest, knowledgeable and friendly recruitment
to grow your career or your business
Penny Lawson founded Folio in 2005 after 13 years in publishing. In her previous career she worked as a chief sub and deputy editor on some of the UK’s best-known consumer and client magazines, so she knows the industry first-hand.
She has matched hundreds of candidates to exciting opportunities, whether that be within digital, social, content marketing, consumer, b2b, communications or PR. The fact that many of these candidates are now clients is testament to Folio’s success.
Folio prides itself on its honest, friendly approach and the business is built on integrity and reliability. Excellent recruitment isn’t about plugging gaps – it’s sharing the dream, giving intelligent advice and supporting you throughout the journey.
Folio specialises in jobs in content creation. From editorial assistant to editorial director, or social media exec to senior strategist, we can help find the right role for you.
To start, please send us your CV with a cover letter outlining the type of role you are looking for and salary expectations. We review every application and you will always hear back. If we think we can help, we’d like to meet to talk in more detail about your career moves and aspirations.
We get to know the people we work with – and that is what makes Folio special.
“Penny is the friendliest face in recruitment, adding a personal touch that goes beyond the day-to-day normality of sharing CVs and portfolios, and chasing up work opportunities. She’s also efficient, with a great memory and network of contacts, placing people in the right roles for freelance and putting them forward for full-time vacancies. Penny maintains close communication when something’s come up, so you aren’t left wondering whatever happened to that mooted possibility (which some recruiters seem to do all too often!). It’s a pleasure to be on Penny’s books.” Stuart, Copywriter
“The difference between Penny and other recruiters is that she genuinely cares about you as an individual. Right from the outset, Penny took the time to get to know me and my likes and dislikes, and within weeks had placed me with a host of long-standing clients. Her connections are second to none, but it is her caring and personable approach that sets her apart from all other recruiters I’ve worked with. I’ve had nothing but a positive experience and can thoroughly recommend Folio!” Matt, Editor
“Penny really listened to what I wanted and only matched me with the roles and companies that would suit me best. Throughout I felt incredibly supported, at ease about big career decisions and altogether more confident about my future. Within two weeks I was offered the job I was looking for. I can’t thank Penny enough for all her help!” Emily, Content Exec
“I approached Penny after six months of searching for employment with no success. Her experience, expertise and guidance were exactly what I needed and she restored confidence in my abilities. She helped me refocus on what it was that I wanted to achieve. Within days, Penny had secured an interview for me and it was only a matter of weeks before I was offered a full-time position. Thanks to her, I am now in a job that I absolutely love.” Justine, Sub-editor
Deciding whether to go freelance can be very daunting – sole trader versus limited company, what expenses are tax deductible, should you be VAT registered, etc. And when you are successfully working freelance, the chances are you’ll need advice from time to time.
These practical guides offer help on how to set up, expenses, personal indemnity insurance, self-assessment and a host of other important issues.
Folio is a niche, specialist agency focussing on content creation. We work with content marketing agencies, ad agencies, global news publishers, consumer brands, PR agencies, social and video specialists, independent publishers and any business in need of engaging content.
Penny spent 13 years in publishing, so genuinely gets what you need. She loves combining the worlds of publishing and recruitment and has one simple aim – to truly match the needs of both clients and candidates.
Most of our clients come to us by referral (thank you) and they keep coming back. We interview all candidates and set tests, when relevant, to assess writing, editing, subbing, SEO, social, digital and IT skills. We only put forward people we believe are a strong fit and we will never clog your inbox with CVs.
To speak to one of the team call 020 3417 4060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“Folio’s editorial expertise and professionalism have been invaluable. Other recruitment agencies left us disappointed with their level of service, but Folio understood our needs completely and helped us find the right people for numerous roles, both temporary and permanent.” Barry, Director
“Penny hunts down the candidates other agencies don’t and doesn’t just rely on incoming CVs. She has placed several outstanding candidates with me over the years, both permanent, fixed contract and freelance, a number of which are still in place after many years.” Chris, Editor
“Folio has been an invaluable help to me, providing excellent, technically skilled, friendly and reliable sub-editors who meet the exact requirements of our demanding production desk. Folio provides such subs promptly and often at very short notice (due to the unforeseeable events of a busy publishing outfit), significantly easing the pressure at the most challenging times.” Stuart, Production Editor
“Penny delivers. She has never wasted my time by putting people forward who are not suitable. Everyone she sends my way has been more than capable of doing the job at hand. On the whole, freelancers I get through Penny come back to work with us job after job as her standard is incredibly high.” Zoe, Head of Content
Please call Penny on 020 3417 4060 for details or to request a job spec
As maternity leave cover at this content marketing agency, whose clients include a number of prestigious UK and global businesses, you will be part of the content team, working across a number of projects as required and performing tasks that may include writing, researching, sub-editing, commissioning and proofreading, among other things. Project outputs will potentially take in online, print and brand campaigns, as well as videos, podcasts and social media posts.
Although you will be overseen by full-time members of the content team on individual projects, you will be expected to take ownership of them, liaising directly with clients as necessary, as well as with colleagues in the creative and client services teams.
Projects you will be expected to work on include creating content for one or more ongoing content programmes – primarily written articles, but potentially also videos, animations and infographics – as well as writing, editing and proofreading on an ad hoc basis to support other members of the content team.
Depending on the projects you are assigned to, you will be expected to:
• Take overall responsibility for content management of projects, from devising content concepts to ensuring deadlines are met
• Research and write articles, video scripts, social media posts, etc
• Commission and edit articles from external contributors
• Manage freelance resources who are brought in to work on projects
• Liaise with clients as necessary, including presenting ideas and solutions
• Liaise with the creative team to produce visual assets
• Arrange for work to be proofread as necessary
• Proofread copy for colleagues, and contribute to other projects, on an ad hoc basis
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• A good communicator, both in writing and face-to-face
• Confidence in presenting ideas, both to colleagues and to clients
• Creative thinking and a problem-solving mindset
• The flexibility to learn new skills and new ways of working
• The ability to work as part of a team
• Organisation and time management
• Strong writing, editing, interviewing and proofreading skills
• The ability to edit copy in layout
• Writing questions and scripts for interviews and podcasts
• Sourcing and commissioning freelance writers
• Understanding of the basic principles of search engine optimisation
• A high standard of accuracy
• Familiarity with common programs from Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Teams) and Adobe (InDesign, Acrobat)
This is a very client-facing role, working across a few key accounts at a multi-award-winning content marketing agency in London. You will lead the social media content process from identifying opportunities and receiving briefs to creating campaigns and setting and monitoring KPIs. You will manage a small team.
A full job spec is available on request.
This is a great opportunity for a strategic content editor with a background in finance. Heading up a team at a multi award-winning content marketing agency, the role is very client-facing and includes overseeing plenty of video, as well as other digital content. The client is a professional body in the finance/accountancy sector.
The successful candidate will have plenty of experience working with clients, plus a background in finance / b2b.
Please email email@example.com for further information and a job spec
Please call 020 3417 4060 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Please email email@example.com or call 020 3417 4060 for a job spec and full info.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a job spec
Our client is a property business and they are expanding their marketing team and looking for a Social Media Marketing Executive to work across the group of companies. The position will work cross functionally across its London, Ibiza and Short Stay businesses, working closely and collaboratively with internal stakeholders to take ownership, manage, evolve and grow the group social media channels, amongst other marketing and creative tasks as required.
This is a fast-paced role which is suitable for a well organised and confident individual, with excellent attention to detail, creative flair and a composed, can-do attitude.
A rare opportunity for a driven, entrepreneurial and autonomous individual with previous Social Media Marketing experience looking for a new challenge within a unique group of companies. The group adopts a supportive, fast paced, and continually evolving environment whilst sharing a passion for excellence, architecture, design and delivering the very best to their clients.
• Manage the operational output, visual look and personality of the social media platforms (Instagram/ Facebook/ LinkedIn / Twitter) across the group of companies (London, Ibiza, Stay)
• Maintain a clear calendar and posting schedule, relevant to the business demands, and utilising team resource to input on relevant content types
• Develop relevant content across these channels to promote properties, new listings, existing listings, and successes
• Be researched and knowledgeable in current trends and new openings / events across property, architecture, interior design, travel, culture, art, food/drink, in both London and Ibiza, translating this into supportive, engaging content
• Ensure a consistent stream of lifestyle content and weekly events are published to align with their major content strands
• Work with the content marketing team to promote magazine features, journal listings, back catalogue articles, collaborations, video, community initiatives, designers and bespoke campaigns
• Ensure their content publishing schedule is consistent and contributes to an effective digital strategy aligned with e-marketing, company websites, and paid media
• Ensure all posts and stories are accurate, tagged effectively, grammatically correct and incorporate agreed call-to-actions
• Ensure all imagery is curated to the highest standards and flows with the content type / channel, adhering to the brand and social media visual guidelines
• Utilise Adobe InDesign templates and Photoshop to produce creative to the required standard
• Generate ideas and identify new pieces of content for use on social media alongside the wider team where required
• Engage with the online community through commentary and support third parties by sharing content to grow followers and encourage their engagement with content
• Identifying key accounts to follow and engage with to help grow the group’s online personality and network
• Identifying design / influencer / journalist accounts to assist with content promotion
• Actively monitor competitors / aspirational accounts to evolve ideas and content
• Actively monitor each channel to reach weekly, monthly and quarterly goals, including employee engagement
• Support Senior Management with insight, ideas and logic for paid-social campaigns and output
• Support Senior Management by producing monthly Social Media reports and analytics, looking to learn, evolve and continually enhance campaigns to optimise results
• Assist the team to design and structure email campaigns as required in MailChimp and Campaign Monitor
• Help deliver monthly newsletters and property launches across the group of companies
• Assist with the upload of content articles (journal / directory / area guides) and property listings to the company websites in WordPress and Orbital One
• Assist with website updates, image selection, editing and upgrades as required
• Assist managing the uploading of Ibiza properties to the website
• You have 3+ years’ experience and a proven track record managing and growing social accounts, agency or client-side
• You are driven to create and publish high-quality marketing content for a fast-paced organisation at the upper end of the market
• You’re able to research and confidently plan content for the present and future, whilst meeting deadlines
• You have an excellent eye for a photo, in particular for architecture / interiors
• You have previous experience using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign / Photoshop)
• You’re a safe pair of hands with excellent organisational skills
• You set yourself high standards and have exceptional attention to detail
• You are self-motivated, proactive and intellectually curious
• You’re a team player who enjoys supporting others and sharing knowledge
• You have a passion for architecture, design, interiors, travel, Ibiza, lifestyle and culture
Ever since this company’s founders pitched successfully on Dragons’ Den, they’ve been hard at work, scouting the country – and the globe! – to find the world’s finest small-batch gins. Every month, they send their members a surprise box packed with craft gins, mixers, foodie treats and a copy of their glossy club magazine.
Delivered directly to the homes of over 45,000 gin lovers on a monthly basis, our magazine plays a fundamental role in their members’ experience, building context and coherence around the contents of the Gin of the Month boxes, telling the stories behind their hand-selected spirits, helping readers discover new cocktail and food recipes, and more.
Reporting to the Editor in Chief, you will work closely with the Deputy Editor and in-house design, commercial and marketing teams to produce written B2B content for the Family of Distillers content stream and B2C content for their monthly members’ magazine.
You will have at least two years’ experience producing content, and will be comfortable working independently to produce high-quality features and accurate copy to brief and in the house style and liaising directly with their commercial partners and distillers.
Your key responsibilities:
• Work closely with the Client Success Manager to produce compelling, engaging Business to Business content for our Family of Distillers initiative.
• Produce a monthly Family of Distillers newsletter.
• Contribute lifestyle features on a monthly basis to the glossy members’ magazine
• Research and write a range of editorial features and sponsored content, including interviews with industry experts and commercial partners
• Proof and sub-edit other team members’ work
• Contributing to brainstorming sessions for the wider Content team.
• Impeccable written communication and editing skills
• Experience producing both sponsored content and editorial features
• Meticulous attention to detail and experience working to tight deadlines
• Experience working across teams and with external contributors, including commercial partners and distillers
• A natural-born storyteller, with the ability to combine disparate strands of narrative into a compelling theme or story
• A collaborative work style, able to handle multiple and changing priorities
• An abundance of creativity and ideas
• An interest in and enthusiasm for the drinks industry (a love of gin in particular is always a bonus!)
At Folio we are devoted to ensuring our recruitment is not only excellent, but inclusive and diverse.
We are committed to ensuring equal opportunities for everyone and we measure an individual on their abilities and not on gender, race, age, sexual orientation, disability, or belief.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce is vital to progress and success. Our unique approach, as long-term mentors to our candidates and clients, allows us to advise on a true best-fit – to achieve long-term and mutually beneficial business relationships.